The Marlborough Room was one of the last rooms to take shape after the refashioning of the house in 1877. Until 1916 the room was divided at the columns; at the far end was the Raphael Library, an overflow for the Long Library, while the larger space was a billiard room.
This space was used as a drawing room until the 1990s, and now serves as a grand formal dining room. The Victorian rosewood table pulls the two parts of the room together and can be extended to seat up to 42 guests.
This room is named in memory of Sarah (nee Jennings) First Duchess of Marlborough, whose vast bequest to the family in 1744 cemented the Spencer dynasty’s financial security.