Painters' Passage

Part of Henry Holland’s 1783 enlargement enclosed the existing outside wall and allowed direct access to the South Drawing Room. In Edwardian times, the corridor was called Painters’ Passage’ and Lord Spencer has returned this corridor to the decor of his grandfather’s time and given it its previous name.

The Roman Emperors’ busts have been retrieved from the attics and stand opposite many busts of Spencer family relatives.

The collection of paintings, many of them self-portraits by artists of Dutch, Italian and English studios, were inherited through Sarah, Duchess of Marlborough, and originally hung in her Wimbledon manor.

Other Rooms of Interest